The ultimate, 4 cycle engine, solo trike with the top class Bautek Pico L wing. The Skycruiser was designed for the new DULV-UL-class 120 kg max. (Trike, wing + safety system) and therefore can be flown without medical examination under a permanent license.
With exceptional flight characteristics this combination with the Pico L sets new standards. Bautek Pico L, a UL-wing, which has a wide range of attainable flying speds and easy, fantastic handling, offers absolute safe flight qualities. It has flight data, which years ago only two person trikes with robust engines could realize.
The Skycruiser/Pico L flies faster than 80 mph, travels more than 56mph, sinks a minimum of 315 ft/min; (1,6 m/sec.), climbs a maximum of 590-790 ft/min, lands with under 28 mph, fuel consumption at travel speed is 0.93 gal/hr. A tuned V2, 4 cycle, 38 HP engine is used, which is extremely quiet, light weight and fuel efficient all together and allows a fast travel speed at 2500 rpm already.
At the DULV noise test the Skycruiser attained the excellent value of 55dB. The maximal horizontal flying speed was 75 mph!
The Skycruiser is as of today available with DULV-Certification (Kennblatt-Nr. 744-09) and flight ready with Pico L Wing in customized colours, safety system and 2 or 3 blade Helix-Carbon prop.
- Trike (short or long version, +/- 70 mm) with tuned Bautek - Briggs&Stratton, 2 cylinder, 4 cycle, 630 ccm engine
- Poly V-Belt drive with reduction 1:2,25 or 1:2,0
- Exhaust system
- Electric starter with 12V / 9 Ah battery
- Helix Carbon 2 blade propeller, 160 cm / 15deg.
- 8 gal. tank (30 ltr)
- Front and side fiberglass enclosures with mountings
- Telescope-setup tube for solo assembly
- Front wheel with drum brake and steering shock-damper
- Hand-brake at front wheel
- Cockpit instrumentation for: altitude, speed; engine rpm, hrs. of operation, oil pressure-warning light.
- Adjustable seat with 4-point harness
- Hand deployed safety chute: Annular 30 EVO to 505 Lbs (230 kg)
- Main wheels shocks: adjustable
- Bautek solo UL-wing “Pico L” in customized colors
- Kingpost and down-tubes profiled
- foldable batten ends (system bautek)
- Composite winglets, white or with colour design
- Hang point with rings for adjustments
- Pack-cover with batten bag and protection pads
Price: 18.875.- € incl. 19% VAT
Optional Equipment: (extra/ add to price)
- Hand accelerator set lever, € 28,50
- Helix Carbon 3-blade propeller 160 cm/13 deg. or 140 cm/15 deg. € 218,40
- Hélices E-props 3-blade propeller, adjustable, with adapter and digital angle indicator € 325,-
- Wheel covers with GLF fins: (set) € 440,30
- Variometer: € 337,25
- Oil temperature gauge: € 91.-
- Spherical compass with mounting bracket: € 125.-
- Removable windshield with transport case: € 187.-
- Aerodynamic trike-mast cover: € 98.-
- Keel-tube slide-on extension, to facilitate wing set-up: € 80.-
- Carbon fiber inserts for leading edge of PicoL wing: (set) € 293,85.-
- Gear bags, behind seat and on top of tank: € 95.-
- Trike-cover, red truck-PVC tarp, with engine cover: € 185.-
- Electric adjustment for trim-speed +/-25kmh (15 mph): € 485.-
- Wing extra cover bag, truck-PVC tarp: € 182,55
- Center console small, for GPS/transceiver radio mounting, removable, with document pocket: € 142.-
- Center console large, for GPS/transceiver radio/transponder mounting, removable, with document pocket: € 195.-
- Trailer for trike transport, with aluminium rails and ramps, fastening belts and loops: € 1.368,50
All prices incl. 19% VAT
- Sail area 12,2 sqm (131 sft)
- Wing span: 9,5m (31 ft)
- Wing weight: 39 kg (86 Lbs)
- Nose angle 132 deg
- Down-tubes and kingpost: profiled
- Max. allowed gross weight: 230 kg
- Weight empty, incl. engine: 75 kg (165 Lbs)
- Weight empty, incl. PicoL wing + safety system: 120 kg (265 Lbs)
- Max. additional load: 118 kg (260 Lbs)
- Tank capacity: 30 ltr (7.9 gal)
- Bautek B&S UL-Engine: 4 zycle (dry/ no oil): 29.8 kg (66 Lbs)
- Max. power at 4100rpm; tuned Bautek B&S UL-engine: ca. 38 HP
- Max. climb: ca. 3 – 4 m/sec, (590 – 790 ft/min)
- Standard instruments: altitude, vario, speed, oil-temperature
- Additional / option: variometer +/- 10m/s, oil-temperature 50-110 deg C
- Propeller DULV certified for: 2 blade: 160cm, 15deg Helix-Carbon; 3 blade: 140cm, 15deg Helix-Carbon / 160cm, 13deg Helix-Carbon
- Brake: hand-brake front, drum brake front
- Setup help (1 person): telescope tube
- Break-down / setup: simple assembly
- Emergency-safety-system: hand-deployed 230 kg
Flight Data / Operation Limits:
Certification: DULV, Kennblatt-Nr. 744-09, Kennblatt-Nr. 744-09-1 (3-blade 160cm, 13 deg), Kennblatt-Nr. 744-09-2 (3-blade 140cm, 15 deg), Kennblatt-Nr. 744-09-3 (2-blade 160cm, 15 deg)
At the DLUV-certification tests officially obtained:
- Stall speed: ca. 43 km/h (27 mph)
- V min: ca. 45-50 km/h (28-31 mph)
- V max horizontal: 120 km/h (75 mph)
- V ne: 130 km/h (81 mph)
- VRA in turbulent air: max 100 km/h (62 mph); !Notice: reduction of V max produces more stable flying behavior!
- Cruise speed: ca. 80 -110 km/h (50 – 68 mph); [depending on launch weight and windshield/option]
- VY bestclimb: 55-60 km/h (34-37 mph)
- Min sink at 65 km/h (40 mph) : 1,6 m/sec (315 ft/min)
The Bautek B&S UL-Motor
Dipl. Ing. Gottfried Michels tunes the motor. Gottfried Michels is a specialist for 4-cycle engines and in their days he tuned the one cylinder engines of the Paris-Dakar-Motorcycles for BMW and made them stand up to the marathon distance.
The goal was a performance increase through improvement of torque with a moderately higher engine speed [rpm]. The known and valued long life and reliability of the Briggs&Statton motors was to be maintained for the tuned version also.
- New engine, complete disassembly, cleaning
- Cylinder heads performance enhancing machined
- Valve seats and channels optimization, compression test
- Valve springs fitted with new alu-plates
- Flywheel turned
- Flywheel grooves changed for more ignition advance
- Push disc static balancing
- Suction elbow shortened, fit and weld
- Standard-camshaft regrinding, rpm-limiter removed
- Auto deco modified
- Carburetor worked-over and new jets installed
- Motor-complete assembly, control of tolerances
- Adjustment of timing and valve play
- Adjustment of magnetic ignition for each cylinder
- Attachment of muffler, gearbox and air filter
The environment friendly 4-cylinder engine impresses with low fuel consumption and whispering-quiet running.
Here's Paul's video on rigging and test-flying the Skycruiser!
Prices for optional equipment Skycruiser (pdf, German)